Divorce falls under the umbrella of family law and can be pretty complex as well as emotional for the parties involved. Therefore, when you need to hire a divorce attorney, you want to hire one that you can trust and that you feel comfortable with. One of the best ways to find an attorney is to ask for referrals from attorneys you’re already familiar with or maybe friends who have dealt with the same problems that you’ll soon be facing. When hiring a divorce attorney, you want to make sure that you ask lots of questions so that you can get a better feel for them and whether or not you will be comfortable letting them take your case.
You shouldn’t assume that you’re going to need an attorney- there are some states that do not require you to hire one. Make sure to do some research on the divorce laws in your state before you do anything. Remember to never hire the first one you talk to- always speak to at least three different attorneys before you choose. You want to make sure that you’ll be well represented and that he will work for the money that you are paying him.
Before you take the step to choose a divorce attorney, there are a few things that you should keep in mind:
- Attorneys who are working for medium to large firms are usually pretty busy and will charge a higher rate for their services. However, if an emergency happens to come up, other members of the firm can step in and help.
- Attorneys working for smaller firms or in solo practices will typically charge less for their services. However, they do not always have the benefit of other attorneys being available in the case of emergency.
- You’ll be working closely with your divorce attorney- choose one that you’re comfortable with. Never hire one that seems to be dishonest or suggests any illegal activities.
- You should receive a written agreement for retainer. If not, make sure to ask for one. This is a contract that will state what you’re paying for services and what the attorney is going to provide you with.
- Always get receipts for any payments you make to your attorney.
Divorce is never an easy thing, but having a good divorce attorney can make the process go so much smoother.